Does your child suffer from low self-esteem? Well, if she does then addressing it now is one of the most important things you can do to ensure that she has a healthy, happy and productive life. After all, a child with low self-esteem is likely to grow into an adult with low self-esteem. Use these confidence tips from experts to turn things around.
- Step back every once in a while: Although it can be quite difficult for parents, there comes a time when a mother or father must step back and let their child face some of life’s risks. This is the beginning of helping them to become confident and competent. Just be ready to intervene when and if things begin to become too much for your child.
- Let them make their own choices: Kids feel a certain sense of empowerment when they are allowed to make their own choices. These choices do not have to be difficult ones at first. They can be as simple as letting them decide if they will wear mittens or gloves on a cold day.
- Give praise where praise is due: While it’s important to give your child praise when he or she succeeds at something, it is equally important to be realistic in your praise. For example, if she fails at some sports event you should praise the effort if not the outcome. The important thing is to let children know that they will not be perfect at everything they try and that this is okay.
- Teach your child to be resilient: So that your child is not overwhelmed by the setbacks and failures, criticism and pain in life, teach her that no one succeeds in everything on their first attempt. Teach your child that disappointment is a natural part of life and they will also learn how much more rewarding goals can be when they are finally achieved through repeated efforts.
- Encourage extracurricular interests: Find out what your child’s interests are and support her. Extracurricular activities can help your child discover her strengths and keep her academic struggles in perspective.
As a parent, it’s your role to teach your child the compassion, kindness, self-assertiveness and confidence she will need to handle life’s ups and downs. This will help her to become better adjusted as an adult. Learn how you as an adult can improve your life with my stress management strategies. I can also help teach you how to become financially free.